Dominica Health System and Private Sector Assessment
This report reviews the primary recommendations that came out of an integrated health systems and private sector assessment conducted in Dominica in 2011 through a joint effort of the Health Systems 20/20 and SHOPS projects. Recommendations include:
- Strengthen the legal and regulatory framework for health through reviewing, updating, and finalizing legislation and enforcing regulations.
- Institute a more efficient management structure for Princess Margaret Hospital.
- Explore partnerships with the private sector that maximize on-island resources for health, using a newly established public-private forum as a starting point.
- Develop a National Health Information System Strategic Plan, including a formal staffing plan to support the Health Information Unit over the long term.
- Conduct a National Health Account estimation with HIV/AIDS subaccount to track heath expenditures.
- Finalize the Ministry of Health Human Resource Development Plan and establish the Human Resources for Health Unit, including hiring a Health Planner and appropriate staff.
- Establish a formal national quality management system.
HS 20/20 and SHOPS Projects